Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Beauty defined

One of the many bridges
The Kuranda Scenic Railway. Supposedly one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. I say supposedly because the source of the claim is the Kuranda Scenic Railway. Not exactly the most reliable source for an unbiased opinion on such a list. We've been excited to take Ray on the train ever since we started thinking about having baby Garbo in Cairns. We see the train roll by our house every morning and every evening. It's become routine for Ray and Brian to sprint to the edge of the yard just as it's approaching to wave at all the tourists. Monday was the anticipated day, and even after becoming one of those tourists I still don't know if it's one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. The ride up was certainly noteworthy, but my focus was on making sure Ray didn't stick her appendages out the open windows. I like those appendages much more than I care about scenery. So I was counting on the ride down, when Ray would most assuredly be passed out in Brian's arms, to soak in the views and judge for myself the claim. As happens so often, I counted on the wrong thing.

We were the first passengers to board the train car after exploring Kuranda with streets full of shops catering to wealthy trinket collectors. People slowly trickled in, but none sat on our bench or the bench facing us. As the train left the station I felt the relief of knowing we would have the whole row to ourselves. Ray's blinks were getting heavier as she curled up on Brian's lap and I saw a peaceful train ride ahead of me where I could finally assess the generous claim. Then it happened. The family sitting in the next row sent two of their girls to sit across from us where they could be closer to the window. At first I was slightly annoyed, even though I understood their excitement at having a better view. Then I was deeply annoyed because they wouldn't stop talking. I was hot and tired and worried that my child was missing her nap because she was too distracted by the girls. Right away Brian tried to communicate to them that Ray was going to sleep, but their response was to scoot apart from each other to make space for her to sleep on their bench. Not exactly what we had in mind. It didn't take long for Ray to lose that precious window of exhaustion all parents know how to identify... and take advantage of. She was not going to nap. As I watched that dream slip away I accepted the fact that my peaceful train ride wouldn't be so peaceful and tried to adjust my attitude.

The girls started by treating Ray as their head model. They put clips in, took clips out, organized clips, brushed her hair, tied it back (rather unsuccessfully), all while Ray laughed that deep belly laugh she does so rarely. The younger of the two quickly dominated the impromptu play date and became Ray's self-appointed best friend. She held her and explained all the deep mysteries of life to her as only a 5 year old girl can. Small children are rather like dogs. They know when people like them and respond accordingly. Ray had little doubt that this girl liked her and she became obsessed. Several times the girl tried to go sit with her family to get a drink of water or another piece of expensive Kuranda candy, but Ray cried for her each time. She quickly came running back around to console the live baby doll. As they sat at the window together, Ray put her hand just slightly out the window despite knowing her boundaries. Brian disciplined her for it which resulted in the typical "how can I in all my cuteness ever get in trouble" cry, but instead of reaching to me for consolation she reached for her new friend (much to the girl's delight).

As our stop rushed to meet us, the ticket collector came round to let everyone know town was near. When she passed our row, Ray's new friend waved frantically and announced, "I am her favorite!" The woman laughed, clearly confused, and said, "Yes, it's good to enjoy your sister." After explaining to her these two had been (and still were) complete strangers, she was astounded and moved on to tell the entire crew about the "train friends." Sadly our stop was the first, and it was extremely hard to separate them. We walked home alongside the train tracks (our house is just a stone's throw from the station) and waved to Ray's first best friend for the last time when the train steamed by.

So I still don't know anything about the scenery on the Kuranda Scenic Railway. I do know about the scenery inside the Kuranda Scenic Railway. There is very little in life more beautiful than two children in a fallen world unabashedly loving one another, free from insecurity and selfish motives. Whatever was happening outside couldn't hold a candle to that.

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 18:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment